Birth of A Piece
How to Commission a Piece
While Hamish creates work that is designed by himself to exhibit at shows and fairs, He is also able to create designs around your specific needs. If you like the style of work he creates and have an idea for a candelabra, box, vase or other object or piece of jewellery simply use the contact form on the top menu to send an email to begin the process.
The process of commissioning a piece of work is very simple. The first step is to get in contact with Hamish to discuss your starting idea. This could be as vague as 'I am looking for a present for my husband.' to 'I am looking to get a set of candle sticks made in silver.' From that initial point of contact Hamish will discuss the options with you and work out a budget, design and choice of materials as well as a time frame for delivery.
The Birth of a Piece
- The silver components are then worked on using traditional metal working techniques to bring out the true form and texture.
- The pieces are then TIG welded together before soldering with a large blowtorch.
- The metal then has the desired finish applied to it. These can include a high shine polish, a brushed finish, blackening with chemicals or plating with a higher quality metal such as gold or Rhodium.
- A 3D printed master is created, from which a mould is made.
- Multiples of this unit are created in wax from this mould which are then hand put together in wax.
- From this the piece is built organically, each design different.
- The wax master is then sent for casting to create the silver components.